Thursday, July 9, 2015

A "Musical" Note from the City Manager

Summer Concert Kick Off
Our Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday, July 10th at 6pm in Leo Ryan Park. There is not a more perfect setting to spend a Friday evening in Foster City with family and friends than a summer concert in Foster City!
Summer Concert Series

4th of July!
Thanks to everyone for a great 4th of July day and evening of spectacular fireworks. Check out these photos provided by Gordon Mak.


The Personal Touch/Good For Everyone!
As part of my new City Manager initiative, I believe we should stay connected to residents with public outreach and within our own organization. At our management team meeting today, I encouraged people to instead of calling or writing an email, to get up and walk over to their coworker's desk and have an in-person interaction. The reaction I first received when I did it was "what are you doing here?" but by the time I left, I got a "come visit again!" The purpose is to further build a team-oriented community.
 
When I became City Manager I received congratulatory calls, emails, and notes. All were very nice and appreciated. The handwritten notes were the most meaningful to me, as that person took the time out to think and physically write something down. The art of communication has changed with new technology and letter-writing is a fading art form. Today I provided staff with Foster City a note card to write a personal note to someone who has impacted their day/life in a positive way and write a thank you card to them. Both parties will be positively impacted by this activity.
 
So get up, get out and talk to that person in the office next to you, and send that hand written note. You will be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment