CITY MANAGER GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
PROMOTE SOUND AND PRUDENT FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
1. Annually complete the appropriate Fiscal Review and provide budget recommendations to the City Council for each fiscal year.
2. Maintain and monitor the five-year forecast for effective budget planning.
3. Formulate a budget document that serves as a planning, financial, and information tool.
4. Work with City Council, city staff, school district, and neighboring communities to identify opportunities for feasible, efficient, and cost effective collaboration and consideration of municipal services.
5. Monitor state legislative trends that may impact the city’s financial condition or operations and provide appropriate recommendations for action to the city council.
6. Utilize the Labor Negotiations process to structure and recommend to City Council labor contracts when opportunities exist that meet the city’s financial constraints.
7. Provide budget revenue and expenditure performance reports to the City Council on a quarterly basis.
PROMOTE EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE MUNICIPAL OPERATIONS AND SERVICES
1. Work with Executive Team to adhere to the strategic planning and performance management principles and continue to implement a comprehensive strategic planning and performance management program; provide periodic reports to City Council.
2. Evaluate city operations and make recommendations to City Council on feasible restructuring considering the results of the citizen, employee, committee, and commission productivity suggestions.
3. Identify and utilize information and other scalable and adaptable technology to improve and enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of municipal services and operations; make recommendations to City Council on the benefits of enhancing the use of technology.
4. Continue to implement methods of encouraging open and unrestricted communication and information sharing between departments, between administration and City Council, and between the city and the public.
5. Ensure adequate preparation of City Council and city staff for presentations at Council meetings.
PROMOTE EFFECTIVE COMMUNITY PLANNING AND NEIGHBORHOOD PRESERVATION
1. Strengthen the activities and involvement of the Assistant City Manager and Community Development Department in revitalization and community and economic development efforts.
2. Establish a forum for appropriate staff, community members, and business leaders to meet regularly to identify and recommend appropriate community and economic development initiatives.
3. Make recommendations to the City Council to implement new, innovative, and progressive ways to revitalize and reinvigorate the city as a “destination” place in San Mateo County.
PROMOTE POSITIVE COMMUNITY AND INTERGOVERNMENTAL RELATIONS
1. Work with the City Council and city staff to develop a comprehensive community relations/communication plan to enhance and facilitate citizen participation in the city’s decision making process on key community issues.
2. Identify and utilize the city website, cable television, and other technology to establish and maintain transparency in city government decision making and operations; make recommendations to City Council on resource needs to achieve this objective..
3. Establish a comprehensive program throughout all city departments to create friendly, helpful, and courteous interaction between the city and its citizens and other customers.
4. Identify opportunities for intergovernmental collaboration and provide the leadership and initiative to pursue those opportunities.
5. Build upon and strengthen the close, cooperative working relationship between the city and the school district, businesses, and Chamber of Commerce to efficiently and effectively coordinate activities and eliminate duplication of effort.
6. Maintain visibility in the community and accessibility and attend major community events.
7. Maintain open, unfettered and timely communication between administration and the City Council.
PROMOTE EFFECTIVE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Seek out and participate in appropriate training opportunities within budget constraints to enhance and strengthen knowledge, skills, and abilities relating to municipal management.
2. Maintain active participation in local, regional, and state professional associations and groups within budgetary constraints to network and share innovative ideas, on effective public management concepts.
3. Review the City Manager’s goals and objective and establish performance measures for each as appropriate on an annual basis.